Albany Pride has specific objectives and aims – find out what they are.
Albany Pride is an ever expanding group and provides:
- General support and information delivery, attempting to build resilience and the capacity for self help, and to promote a sense of safety and belonging;
- Promoting diversity and acceptance of LGBTIQA+ within the Queer community and the wider community;
- Co-ordination and co-facilitation of “Spectrum”, Under 25’s LGBTIQA+ social/support group with headspace Albany (find out more);
- Organising Albany Pride week each year since 2016;
- Advocacy (including effective strategies to schools for challenging homophobia and bullying within the school environment and supporting same sex attracted and gender questioning students);
- Making referrals/linking in with other community supports;
- Raising community awareness about issues affecting the LGBTIQA+ community, particularly younger members of this community;
- Liaison with local media around pertinent issues relating to our LGBTIQA+ community;
- Organising training for the local community in collaboration with other organisations around issues facing our LGBTIQA+ community and how this community can be better supported. We recently partnered with Living Proud to deliver Opening Closets Training to almost 40 agency staff locally;
- Participating in State and National research opportunities;
- A few Albany Pride members are also Qlife Australia volunteers, providing mentoring to other LGBTIQA+ people;
- PFLAG formed in Albany in 2018 and they are under our Albany Pride banner.
We hold various groups and social activities, all of which meet monthly. These include:
- After Work Drinks and Dinner at a local bar;
- Spectrum (12-25 year old social group run with Albany headspace);
- Albany Pride Support Group: a group for LGBTQIA+ people and friends that have experienced (or are experiencing) mental health issues, disabilities or differently abled;
- PFLAG: a group for friends and family of LGBT+ people.
More information about our network of support can be found here.
If you’d like to meet us, you can check out our Calendar for upcoming events, many of which take place on a monthly basis!